Today is my birthday. I have been alive for 27 years. This means my knowledge of the world should be enough to fill archives on archives of storage files (it does not). I shan’t go on a defeatist rampage about how I had planned my 27th birthday at the start of the year (read: long weekend away at an expensive lodge in Mpumalanga, getting drunk on unnecessarily sweet pina coladas and orange juice-sparse mimosas, new photographs added to the cloud). We have enough no-can-do news and posts these days.
I have instead decided to collate all that I know about life. Yes, this IS an exhaustive list 🙂
- Don’t forget to wash your neck, and your ass. They’re not self-cleaning organs/tissues.
- It’s strange to be this age. I’m old enough to say I hooked up with someone 7 years my junior and it is LEGAL.
- Your heart and vagina are gold. Be intentional with who and what you let into them.
- Failing is part of life. It is not your entire life.
- “You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your blessings.” Quote from ‘Eat, Pray, Love’
- It is not your responsibility to teach, debate or argue with men about sexism. Do it only if you want to.
- It is not your responsibility to teach, debate or argue with white people about racism. Do it only if you want to.
- Everything, EVERYTHING, gets better with age.
- Self-confidence is conditioned at a young age. Children who are showered with love and adoration become self-assured adults.
- The world is shitty to girls.
- Words matter. ‘Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm me’ is a load of crap.
- Words matter. Be an affirmative person.
- Sweet peppers have more vitamin C than oranges.
- Slapping a piece of vegetable atop a pizza does not make it healthy. Also, knowing a black man does not make you not racist.
- No one has their act together all the time. Cut yourself some slack if you got a few misses.
- Cunnilingus is a trip. More men should get into it.
- Get into the habit of photographing and taking videos of special people and moments. Memories fade.
- Apparently, the brain cannot differentiate between milk and dark chocolate. The same reward hormone will be released whether you stuff yourself with a sugar-loaded Bar-One or a bitter 80% cocoa chocolate bar. (I say apparently because I choose to blindly follow this [and not google it] in my quest to sustain my dairy-free dopamine-rich? lifestyle.)
- Do not make important life decisions when you’re bleeding.
- Music WILL change your mood. It is that powerful.
- I don’t HAVE TO be on social media if it disrupts my mental health. It is not a requirement for existing as a millennial.
- Cheese is dairy. Going dairy-free means having to give up cheese:(
- Rihanna is the absolute baddest human to have walked the earth in our generation.
- I don’t have to be the best at anything to take up space and cement myself where I want to.
- Explore as much of yourself as you can while you’re young. it’s not cute to only figure out at age 26 that you might be into girls.
- That said, it’s never too late to find and redefine yourself.
- Believe in your fine ass self, cav yourself, rate yourself heavy.
3 thoughts on “27 things I now know at 27…happy birthday to me!!!”
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yaaaaaaassss! Love this post so much
LikeLiked by 1 person
Things always get better with time…
These are timeless lessons. Thanks for sharing